Certified Spiritual Director (CSD)
A need has been expressed for excellence, competency, integrity and established professional qualifications in almost every field and discipline. Professionals, paraprofessionals and technicians have each taken up this challenge and responsibility.
CCPC Global is responding to both social expectation and professional need. CCPC as a recognized certifying body, certifies those qualified individuals who are engaged in the Art and Discipline of Christian Spiritual Direction.
Those wishing to be certified and requesting the designation of Certified Spiritual Director (CSD) will provide information to the CCPC indicating their education, supervised experience and specialized training in the field of Christian Spiritual Direction.Copies of documentation of the above are required and will be kept on file at the CCPC office; they will not be returned.
The application and documentation will first be screened for eligibility for certification by an Evaluator, and then scrutinized by the Board of Examiners of the CCPC. The applicant will be notified in writing concerning the decision of the Board of Examiners. Denial of an application will be accompanied by written explanation and advice on acquiring the training/education needed.
Purpose of Certification
The Purpose of Certification for the Spiritual Director is to recognize, by way of the certification process, those who have acquired an acceptable standard of training, skills, and effectiveness as a Spiritual Director.
CCPC Global Inc. extends professional credentials (CSD) to individuals indicating the minimum skill level reached.
The Council encourages everyone having the required qualifications to apply regardless of age, race, nationality, sex or handicap.
Our focus is:
- To provide an avenue for qualified persons who have studied, worked and developed skills in spiritual direction to receive professional recognition.
- To provide the public with the confidence that Spiritual Directors have attained an acceptable level of competency.
- To provide Certified Spiritual Directors with encouragement for continual spiritual awareness, education and professional development.
Who may be certified?
Any person may apply for credentials as a Certified Spiritual Director (CSD). However, he or she must be able to meet the “Standards Criteria” set by the CCPC Examining Board.
The application process provides the opportunity for the applicant to demonstrate adequate skill, knowledge and competence as a spiritual director. The applicant must provide written documentation that you have received supervision in spiritual direction for a minimum of 12 months.
Applicants must have a minimum of 12 months internship for responsibilities in spiritual direction working at the outlined core functions. This would include a minimum of 500 face-to-face hours with a directee.
CCPC has set the following standards for the Experience part of the certification process.
There must be written documentation indicating at least 12 months internship as formal education in spiritual direction.
Formal education may NOT be substituted for the experience requirement. All experience must be documented.
A letter on official stationery from the applicant’s church and/or denomination and/or spiritual director indicating that they wish to recognize this person for responsibilities of spiritual direction. This must include an indication that the applicant is a communicant in good standing.
CCPC has set the following standards for the Education part of the certification process.
The required education is defined as formal classroom education in the spiritual direction field. Education must be related to the base of knowledge and skills associated with the core functions. All education must be documented.
An applicant applying for certification must have a master’s degree from a recognized accredited institution with a focus in biblical, theological studies and a minimum of six courses in spirituality. In exceptional cases individuals with a baccalaureate degree in spirituality may be considered provided they meet all the other requirements.
There are a number of basic Core Competencies which are required:
- Cognitive Mastery
- Ministry Skills
- Character and Spiritual Formation
- Personal Work Habits
- Relationship with People
- Relation to Church or Agency
- Functioning Within Expected Role
(For specific details, see Supervisor’s Evaluation)
CCPC Global expects its applicants to:
- Adhere to the established code of ethics to preserve a high standard of professionalism and to secure the client’s best interest.
- Maintain federal, provincial and agency regulations concerning confidentiality by following proper procedures to preserve the client’s rights.
- Identify the importance of the diversity of clients by attaining knowledge about character, cultures, lifestyles, and other elements that are dominant to a client’s behaviour, in order to advise services that are sensitive to the client.
- Set up and maintain a program of self-assessment of professional conduct (strength and weakness) using ethical and legal standards.
- Continue the process of professional growth and development by assessing one’s training needs and attaining the necessary education.
All references are for the purpose of assisting the Examining Board make fair and complete evaluation of the competency of the applicant.
Two letters of reference are required from qualified professionals indicating the applicant’s personal integrity and suitability. All references are treated with STRICT PROFESSIONAL CONFIDENTIALITY.
They should be addressed to the CCPC Global, included with the application under confidential cover and addressed to the attention of:
Dr. David Sherbino,
M.P.S., S.T.M., D.Min., CSDS, FT.
3377 Bayview Ave, Toronto, ON Canada M2M 3S4
The written references should include the following information as well as a recommendation for or against the candidate’s certification.
- How does the applicant demonstrate self control?
- How has the applicant demonstrated reliability?
- Show how honesty is a part of the applicant’s personal/professional conduct.
- Give examples of the applicant’s ability to work with others.
- Comment on the communication skills of the applicant.
- Comment on the applicant’s ethical (professional/spiritual) conduct.
- A letter on official stationery from the applicant’s Spiritual Director indicating his or her engagement in spiritual direction.
The CCPC reserves the right to request additional information if required.
Supervisor Letter and Evaluation
All applications must be accompanied by a letter from your spiritual director on official stationery. The letter, as outlined in the experience section, should confirm your 12 month internship and those they wish to recognize this person for responsibilities of spiritual direction. This must include an indication that the applicant is a communicant in good standing.
Keep a Record of your Application
It is recommended that all applicants maintain a personal file for their records. This file should contain copies of all of the following documents: the completed application; all past and current training-related transcripts, diplomas, and certificates; and a record of hours worked both in education and training and in work experience. The CCPC performs periodic checks of those certifications which require continual training or minimum hours worked.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this certification please go to the manuals page and download a copy of the CSD manual or simply CLICK HERE and follow the steps. If you need more help or direction, contact us.