You are here: Home / Certifications /
Certified Nutrition Manager (CNM)
CCPC Global provides the opportunity for all active Canadian Society of Nutrition Management (CSNM) members to be certified and recognized as a Certified Nutrition Manager (CNM).
Active membership in CSNM is required for the CNM designation. For more information on membership, please visit CSNM Membership Info
CSNM Mission Statement: Empowering members. Creating leaders. Building professional excellence.
CSNM Value Proposition:
Accreditation – oversee the accreditation programs in nutrition management in Canada Certification – a national standard of competence in nutrition management
Education – lifelong learning, conferences, magazine, webinars, website, forum, e-news
Networking – sharing of best practices, recruitment, career development, mentorship, social networking, affiliation with industry partners
Professional designation – active members may use NM (Nutrition Manager) designation
Professional recognition – honours, awards, student bursaries
Volunteer opportunities – leadership development, committees, governance
Purpose of Certification
The purpose of certification for the Nutrition Manager is to recognize those who have acquired an advanced level of training, skills, work experience, and effectiveness as a Nutrition Manager.
CCPC Global issues professional credentials to those who qualify in their respective field. The CCPC is the has entered into an agreement with the Canadian Society of Nutrition Management to be the third party examiner for the certification of the CSNM membership.
The Certified Nutrition Manager (CNM) certificate will be issued to those who apply and are approved by the CCPC examining Board.
The focus is:
- To provide an avenue for CSNM members who have studied, worked, and developed skills in the nutrition management field to receive professional recognition.
- To provide the public and their employers with confidence that professional managers have attained an advanced level of competency.
- To provide Certified Managers with encouragement and opportunity for continual
- education and professional development.
Who may be certified?
Active CSNM members may apply for the Certified Nutrition Manager (CNM) credential. However, he or she must be able to meet the Standard Criteria for education and experience set by the CCPC Global Examining Board.
Please visit CSNM for full membership information here www.CSNM.ca
Those applying for certification, by way of holding a CSNM membership, signifies then have met the education requirement for certification, defined as:
- Having graduated from a CSNM Accredited College Program in Food Service and Nutrition Management as listed on the CSNM website.
- Or having graduated from another post secondary program which has been demonstrated to contain essential elements of Food Service and Nutrition Management.
Continuing Education (CE) Points
As part of holding a CSNM membership one is required to achieve 8 CE points in the 8 core competency areas. When becoming a CNM this requirement increases to 16 CE points annually. Qualifying CE points can be gained via CSNM offerings. Proof of CEs must accompany applications and annual renewals. Please read the full description in the CNM Manual.
Core Competency Areas
- Quality Management
- Nutrition and Healthy Living
- Clinical Nutrition
- Food Services Systems Management
- Human Resources Management
- Financial/Business Management
- Marketing and Promotion
The CNM applicant must have the equivalent of 4000 hours paid work experience. All experience must be documented and accumulated while holding an active CSNM membership.
Experience is described as work done at a professional level in the field of nutrition management. A Nutrition Manager is a multi-skilled technically competent practitioner and may hold titles like Nutrition Manager – Food Service Manager – Dietary / Dietetic – Supervisor, Technologist, Technician or Hospitality Food Services Manager.
The role of the Nutrition Manager is to incorporate knowledge and skills in coordinating and managing operations of the Food / Nutrition Services Department, enabling management to meet and maintain the prime goal of quality, cost effective nutrition services. This person may have direct responsibility for the total or partial food service operation, responsible to the Department Head or Administrator.
Please read the full description in the CNM Manual.
The CNM applicant pledges to:
- Adhere to the established CSNM code of ethics and professionalism which holds them accountable for ethical behaviour and professionalism in their relationships with clients, colleagues and external partners;
- Maintain federal, provincial, and agency regulations concerning nutritional management by following proper procedures to preserve the client’s rights;
- Continue the process of professional growth and development by assessing their training needs and obtaining the necessary education.
All applications must be accompanied by a completed Supervisor Evaluation and a copy of the applicant’s resume and/or job descriptions. Evaluations can be submitted under confidential cover if desired.
Keep a Record of your Application
It is recommended that all applicants maintain a personal file for their records. This file should contain copies of all of the following documents: the completed application, all past and current training-related transcripts, diplomas, and certificates, and a record of hours worked both in education and training and in work experience. The CCPC performs periodic checks of those certifications which require continual training or minimum hours worked.
Once approved as a CNM, your certification will be aligned and added to your CSNM membership renewal on April 1st. Both annual renewal fees and the required 16 CE’s will be reviewed by CSNM and forwarded to CCPC Global.
How to Apply
If you are interested in applying for this certification the first step is to read the full manual. Once you are prepared to apply you may either use the online application link below:
Or from the manual print the required pages CLICK HERE and follow the steps. If you need more help or direction, contact us.